Your water heater is one of those things that you easily overlook. Most homeowners only notice the water heater when it no longer produces warm water when taking a shower. It should be noted that the water heating unit also requires some form of maintenance. Luckily, you don’t need to call a plumbing contractor right away unless there’s a major plumbing emergency. In fact, you can maintain a water heater on your own. There are basic steps to follow. Here are some of those steps that you could take:
Plumbing maintenance – what to do to keep your water heater in top condition
- Draining and cleaning the tank – this should be done at least once a year. You can easily find time to do this task since it doesn’t require too much time. You can think of it as a weekend project that’s long overdue. Here are some steps on draining the tank:
- Cut off power/gas supply leading to the water heater
- Link a hose to the tank’s drain valve located at the bottom
- Close the input water valve at the top of the tank
- Release the vacuum in the tank by opening the pressure relief valve
- Open the drain valve and completely drain the valve
- Replace everything in reverse order to resume normal water heater operation
- Replacing the anode rod – this step is rarely done. However, there will come a time when you will need to replace the anode rod. If you don’t have a clue how this is done, contact your local emergency plumber for assistance. If you do know your way around, here are some steps to help you out.
- Cut off the input water valve
- Loosen the nut that holds the anode rod in place
- Remove the old rod, replace with a new one, and insert into the tank
- Tighten the nut and restore water input
- Replacing the heating element – if your water heater has not had any maintenance done for years, you should consult with your Florence emergency plumber. If your water heater is not heating efficiently as it used to be, there might a problem with the heating element. There are a lot of steps involved in replacing the heating element and it is advised to leave this task to the hands of professionals. Any misstep would lead to more problems than you started with.
- Checking the pressure release valve – there’s also one easy maintenance task that you can do. Checking the pressure release valve is one of those easier tasks that homeowners can easily accomplish. There is often a valve at the top portion of the tank that is intended for pressure relief. The pressure relief valve should be connected to a pipe that leads away from the tank. This is to ensure that no steam and water gets accidentally released towards the user.
For other major maintenance tasks, always leave it to the experts. Professional plumbers like Plumbing Experts Florence know what they are doing and are experts in the trade. Handing over such tasks to professionals ensures both your safety and the of your home’s plumbing.
Call Plumbing Experts Florence if you are looking for a reliable and reputable plumber in your area.
Plumbing Experts Florence
Florence, SC 29501